Sunday, July 26, 2015

Working through the Basics of Sewing: Part 2

Hi Again, I know it has been sometime.


We are still getting to know each other. I will share something about myself, and hope the readers will comment something about themselves below in the comments. It can be about your inspiration and aspirations or even about your fears when it comes to sewing.

I am a wife of a very busy husband who works very hard, risking his life everyday, to support his family, which he loves like no other. I am thankful to have him in my life. We have been married now for 6 years and have two beautiful children, the pair, a boy and a girl. I began sewing because of my children and now hope to help others work through the hardships and complications of sewing. There are a lot of creative minds out there that need just a little bit of help sending their ideas to their hands.


Part 2: Needles and Thread

There are multiple needle characteristics, gauge and point, which signify its purpose. The two that are most readily used are ballpoint needles and universal needles. Ballpoint needles are also known as jersey or stretch needles and are used for knit fabric, like jerseys, Lycra, spandex, and stretch nylon. Universal needles are used for pretty much anything else, i.e. cotton woven, canvas, home décor fabric. They come in multiple sizes or gauges. The smaller gauges, 8, 9 are best for more fragile, thin fabrics. 11 and 14 are the most readily used gauges in both Universal needles and ballpoint needles. (So make sure to have a nice stock of those sizes.)













Thread is as important as needles. Color only ready matters if the thread will be visible. Quality of the thread is essential. Coats and Clark and Gutermann are the most available and used thread brands. I use both. Coats and Clark are more affordable than Gutermann but some believe that Gutermann is a better quality. That is really the opinion of the user. I do not notice much of a difference in quality. Gutermann does make silky thread options for machine sewing which I love to use when sewing silk, sateen or duponi fabric.
Follow this link to view Gutermann Threads color charts.



There are thread specific for hand sewing, machine sewing, and serging. They will be labeled accordingly. Serger thread stands out from all others because they are typically found on large cones. Coats and Clark and Gutermann also make serger thread. Maxi-lock is another serger thread option. It is my preferred serger thread provider.
Maxi-lock Thread can be found Here and Here for affordable prices.



I hope all this information is helpful. I know it is a lot so if you have any questions please ask questions below in the comment section. or Email me 


No comments:

Post a Comment